Friday, August 27, 2010

Breakthrough Scholar, Zena Stephens, spearheads Generation Outreach


Feeling the heat of Atlanta’s spring sun, I quickly increased the turnover of my legs, leading my father and cousin. As we passed a building with people who appeared homeless outside I heard my father ask exactly what kind of building it was. My cousin, a resident of Atlanta, answered, “a drug rehabilitation center.” I slowed down my pace, glaring across the street at the individuals sitting along the stumps and sidewalks, long enough to inhale the scent of desperation. That scent sunk deeper into my skin as I continued my route to the car while ideas raced through my mind, speeding like the Nascars at the Daytona 500. Half way to the car the ideas began to take shape, and I realized that there had to be a change. Beyond addiction issues laid problems often faced throughout the world, all apparent in my community. After this epiphany I understood that somebody had to do something, and that somebody would be me.

Repeatedly calling my best friend Paige’s phone for the following two hours, I finally received an answer. I explained my experience with her and presented the opportunity for us to form our own organization to address the various issues observed in the typical lives of members of our community. It was at that moment that Team G.O, Generation Outreach, was birthed. Our mission is to provide life altering opportunities, built on the principles of Civic Engagement. We are dedicated to enhancing the lives of underprivileged individuals through continuous fundraising and community service. By seeking aid from the community to better the community, we wish to assemble a tight-knit bond within the area. To ensure a long term improvement of addressed issues, we will educate the community at each event held and supply a solution to decrease the problem at that current concentration point.

The first project for this new-born organization is called “When I Grow Up.” Its purpose is to sponsor chosen students from Coconut Grove Elementary, George Washington Carver Elementary, and Frances Tucker Elementary School with their school supplies for the 2010-2011 school year. Each selected candidate will display need-base, but also academic excellence. This summer will be one full of excitement and events. If you wish to gain any more information about our organization feel free to contact us at teamgo10@gmail.com or (305)431-9840/ (786)488-6070.

Written By
Zena Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment